(Taken from 150 year commemoration book, 1846 – 1996)
1846 Pastor George Schuster was ordained and installed by Dr. Wm. Sihler on October 14. St. Paul’s Congregation was officially organized by Pastor Schuster on that date.
Christian Day School classes begun.
1848 St. Paul’s first church, a log structure, was erected on the north side of Bremen, west of the cemetery. This log church also served as a school.
1851 Pastor Schuster organized St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Woodland.
1859 A structure on the corner of Washington and North Streets became St. Paul’s second church.
1863 Earliest recorded minutes of a congregational meeting.
1874 Pastor C.F.W. Huge installed. Decision made by congregation to build new church and school.
1875 Cornerstone of new church laid in May. Present church was dedicated on October 24. School dedicated December 7. Cost of church and school approximately $6000. Mr. Rudolph Mueller, first full time teacher, installed.
1881 First organ purchased from St. James Lutheran Church, Logansport, Indiana.
1886 Official new name of the congregation: St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession, Inc.
1893 Pastor August Wilder installed. English services were begun on Sunday evenings.
1895 Electric lights installed. Ladies Aid assumed cost.
1899 Mr. Wambsganns died at age 56. Teacher Willie released from his teaching duties. Mr. C. Dress installed.
1900 Report cards introduced in school. 25th anniversary of church building observed.
1901 Building at South Washington and Maple Streets purchased for new school. Cost $450.
1904 Electric lights installed at school. First electric lights placed on Christmas tree at church.
1917 Members encouraged to buy Liberty Bonds.
1918 Participated in Synod’s Army/Navy collection during World War I.
1919 Sunday School now conducted entirely in English.
1924 Electric lights installed at altar. Name of our church changed on October 5 to St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church UAC.
1925 Golden Jubilee of St. Paul’s church building observed. Decision made to build a new teacherage for Mr. Buescher. Brick structure at 225 East South Street built at a cost of $8000.
1927 Minutes of the congregation now recorded in English.
1936 St. Paul’s new school, attached to church, dedicated October 18.
1940 New parsonage built at 126 East South St. Cost $5500.
1941 Daughter congregation in Warsaw, begun in 1937, dedicated its church.
1957 Parent-Teacher League organized.
1958 Stained glass windows in church dedicated.
1959 Mr. Robert Trinks installed as school principal.
1960 Decision made to hold two worship services each Sunday.
1963 James Mannel installed as new principal of school.
1966 Pastor Raymond Mueller installed as St. Paul’s 12th pastor.
1968 Cliff Kentel becomes principal of St. Paul’s School.
1971 125th anniversary of congregation observed, with Synodical President Jacob Preus the principle speaker.
1972 Dr. Otis R. Bowen elected Governor of Indiana. Groundbreaking and cornerstone laying of new school took place at South Center Street. Preschool organized by Barb Kentel and Jan Kiefer.
1973 The new school and Christian Life Center was dedicated. April 29; Gov. Otis Bowen the principle speaker. Mr. Ken Eichinger and Barbara Kottlowski installed as teachers.
1975 The 100th anniversary of St. Paul’s church building was observed.
1977 The teacherage was sold.
1981 Pastor Roger Rohde installed as St. Paul’s 14th pastor. Congregation observes 135th anniversary.
1983 School driveway and parking lot paved.
1985 Charles Wildauer accepts call to Lutheran High School, Springfield, Illinois. James Russell succeeds him as principal. Barbara Middaugh becomes Preschool director after Janet Kiefer retired. Rebekah Mueller installed as first grade teacher. Jeri Rohde organized “New Beginning” singing group.
1986 School mortgage burning ceremony held.
1991 Neil Wonnacott begins a two-year vicarage here.
1992 Principal James Russell completes his 20th year in the teaching ministry.
1993 Neil Wonnacott ordained and installed as Assistant Pastor of St. Paul’s Lutheran Congregation, Bremen.
1994 New facility on South Center Street dedicated January 16.